The Washington Nationals are seeking a full-time Baseball Operations Analyst. The role’s responsibilities include designing and developing analytical tools to aid baseball operations, salary arbitration research and preparation, and ad-hoc research projects to support baseball operations. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical and mathematical skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, be well-versed in publicly available Sabermetric research, and have a demonstrated passion for working in baseball.
The position will report to the Director, Baseball Operations.
• Designing and developing analytical tools to aid baseball operations decision-making across a wide spectrum of areas (player valuation, transactions, strategic planning).
• Providing assistance with salary arbitration valuations, negotiations, and case writing.
• Effectively presenting and communicating research and analysis to members of the baseball operations staff.
• Conducting ad-hoc research projects at the request of the baseball operations staff.
• Monitoring and reviewing publicly available baseball research on a regular basis.
• Assisting with the management and development of baseball operations interns.
• Bachelor’s degree in an analytic field such as statistics, math, computer science, or economics.
• Exceptional quantitative abilities, as well as attention to detail.
• Expert in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
• Demonstrated knowledge of publicly available sabermetric research.
• Ability to communicate effectively to baseball and non-baseball audiences.
• Ability to work extended hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Proficiency with SQL and relational databases.
• Demonstrated experience conducting independent baseball research using publicly available datasets (i.e. PITCHf/x, Statcast, etc).
• Experience with programming languages, such as R.
• Playing experience in baseball at college level or above.